Skip to main content

Why Don't We Rap In Church?

   A few days ago I watched a movie on Dove Television. Now I'm not that big on movies, but there was a particular scene that REALLY got me thinking. Two men were trying to win the heart of a very pretty lady who was in the choir of their church. So, they bought decided to audition for the church choir. The first guy sang a very beautiful slow song while playing the piano, and the choir director applauded him with comments like; "Oh you have such a wonderful voice" "I never knew you could play the keyboard" and stuff. Then the next guy stood up to try. He brought his friends from the village and they played this talking drum the Yoruba people are famous for, and he sang an equally beautiful song. Dare I say even more beautiful than the slow one the other guy sang. The only difference was the talking drum and the Yoruba and stuff. But then the choir director made comments like; "Brother Akande, our church does not do this kind of music" "This is worldly" "Why did you not sing like the other guy?"
   Doesn't that scene look familiar in our church setting? I remember one music competition I attended. There were this rap duo competing. They did NOT go far. Probably 'cos they were the only rappers in the competition dominated by people with angelic voices.
    Why don't we sing rap music in most churches? Is it because of all the genre is associated with? The violence and misogyny and curse words? But aren't there awesome Christian rappers out there? I bet there are a lot of boys and girls in various churches, who really want to use the rap talent that they've received from God to serve Him in Church, but nobody's giving them the chance. Oh how I long for the day when the choir ministration before the pastor preaches in my church will be a rap ministration.
   OK let's be realistic here. Rap music is not everyone's style. Probably most Christians are not fans of the genre. Or maybe they were fans before they became Christians and then they associated the music with everything they were before they met Jesus and now they condemn it. For example, did you know Kanye West wanted to quit rapping after he became a Christian? His pastor had to convinced him that rap was also created by God. Just like every other genre of music.
   Believe me, I've seen serious opposition to hip-hop music. After I did my first rap ministration in my teens church, a member met me after the service, and with all seriousness and passion, he begged me to stop 'cos he didn't want me to go to hell. I was like COME ON!
   Can we all come to the general consensus that God created everything on earth? Like everything? Sex? Hip-hop? Government? If they're associated with any negative thing today, it's because of Satan. He took what God created and ruined it. God is the creator of every kind of music. It might be noise to us, but it's music to Him. I believe in heaven, we'll experience diversity of sounds. From the lyrical hip-hop to the village sounding songs of the most primitive tribe on earth, and I can't wait till the church gives all genres of music the equality that they deserve. All that should matter is; "How edifying is the song?" "Did it pass a good message? I mean theologically and doctrinally sound?" "Did it glorify God?" "Did it narrate the gospel message?" "Were people blessed and encouraged by the message of the song?" And it's high time we stop classifying songs as worldly or Christian just because of the way they sound. I rest my case.

Comments

  1. Hmmm! This is word. I stand with you on this. Even though I'm not a fan of rap music, it's lyric are edifying. You're right man. I believe the church will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support you mate. I just pray that one of those days they will see Christian rap music as any other preferable gospel Music

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CHH's 2019 In Review

    Happy New Year to all lovers of music and especially lovers of the hip-hop genre of music and especially especially lovers of the Christian hip-hop sub-genre of hip-hop music.       So 2019 has come and gone, and we are here on the FIRST DAY OF THE NEW DECADE!!!       2019 was a very interesting year for CHH and I'll like to look at the 2019 CHH year in review. You know what? How about we do it like one of those alternative year end awards thing huh? Who knows? Maybe one day, we'll actually hand out awards to these artists for all the work that they do and how they've allowed themselves to be used mightily by God to be a huge blessing to us.     MALE ARTIST OF THE YEAR - 1K Phew 2019 saw a lot of artists on the grind, sharing their faith in their music and stuff. But 1K Phew was over the top this year. With albums What's Understood 1 and the sequel What's Understood 2, not mentioning all the features with the Indie Tribe and sing...

Is He A Christian Artist? Is He Not A Christian Artist? Part 4

   I grew up in a christian family, and for a short period in my life, I attended a christian school. At our teens church, they always encourage us to have christian friends, to always listen to christian music and to always read christian books. Who was that again that always shouted at church; "You're not a student christian. You're a christian student. You're a christian first before you became a student?" You get where this is going don't you? Labels, labels and more labels. But you know, previously, like way earlier on in our history, we had no labels. Everyone called us "those people who follow Jesus." Or "those people that preach about that man." Then some smart person must have said something like; "Hey, if they're like Christ, why don't we call them Christians?" I don't know how true, but someone once told me that the label "christian" was an insult. Like it was to be in the same category as "re...

Unashamed Because Of CHH

This is the start of a new series on chhinfo. The start of stories. Stories of how christian hip-hop has impacted and changed the lives of people. From people who were rotten, hopeless and depressed, to the people who seemed normal but had their issues. So, let's not waste time anymore, let's go on to our first story.    " I'm Damian Jacobs. A poet, blogger and rapper who loves God so much and rests in the knowledge that God loves him too. But you know, it wasn't always like this. I used to be very ashamed of who I was, who I had, whom I served. I used to be different from who I am today.  Music has always been a huge thing for me. I guess God put this music nerve inside me when he started the construction. Music has always been my thing and in fact, I learned to play the keyboard as a kid. I discovered hip-hop a few years later, but I never pictured hip-hop as anything like...what's the word...clean? Or maybe godly? But I grew to love the music of Lil...