Skip to main content

What Qualifies As Christian Hip-hop?

Ah the good old days. I'm sure older people reading this might miss those days in Nigeria, when Independence Day celebrations were always looked forward to. From the parades, to the speeches, to the green-white-green dresses, to the my-country-is-the-best-in-the-world feeling. I've read about times like that, although right now, that feeling doesn't exist anymore. Independence Day is just like any regular day.
Remember the early days of CHH? There was this clear distinction between CHH and regular HH. The music  specifically targeted the Christian community, and if it was targeted at non-Christians, it was a clear salvation message.
A few years ago, maybe someone realized that method wasn't working. Like, Jesus commanded us to reach the unsaved didn't he? And there's massive joy in heaven when one sinner repents than the billions of other Christians already saved right? And that brilliant idea brought about the subtleness that is our reality today.
So what qualifies as Christian hip-hop? In Nigeria, there's this song that's just getting popular. Alert by Prinx Emmanuel. Does it sound like something maybe Lil' Kesh would sing? Or how about Moonwalk by 1K Phew? What if Phil Ade sang it?


What really qualifies as Christian hip-hop? Songs that have the name of God in it? I really don't see how this subtle strategy gets non-believers saved. After all, isn't that what this is all about? Well, it's the Holy Spirit doing the saving. He can get them saved through any means. It's up to him.
These days, artists like Snoop Dogg and Lil' Kesh put God's name in their songs too. Does that make them CHH artists? What qualifies as Christian hip-hop?
I guess what qualifies as Christian hip-hop is simple. Just a song by an artist that has allowed himself or herself to be used by God. It doesn't matter if the lyrics are direct or subtle. Or if it's something a secular artist could have sung. The most important thing is the fact that the artist is yielded to the Lord and God can actually work through his songs.
(Please if you have issues playing the video, YouTube is your friend! You can go directly to YouTube and watch the video there. I'm sorry I wasn't able to show you the video from here.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHH's 2019 In Review

    Happy New Year to all lovers of music and especially lovers of the hip-hop genre of music and especially especially lovers of the Christian hip-hop sub-genre of hip-hop music.       So 2019 has come and gone, and we are here on the FIRST DAY OF THE NEW DECADE!!!       2019 was a very interesting year for CHH and I'll like to look at the 2019 CHH year in review. You know what? How about we do it like one of those alternative year end awards thing huh? Who knows? Maybe one day, we'll actually hand out awards to these artists for all the work that they do and how they've allowed themselves to be used mightily by God to be a huge blessing to us.     MALE ARTIST OF THE YEAR - 1K Phew 2019 saw a lot of artists on the grind, sharing their faith in their music and stuff. But 1K Phew was over the top this year. With albums What's Understood 1 and the sequel What's Understood 2, not mentioning all the features with the Indie Tribe and sing...

Is He A Christian Artist? Is He Not A Christian Artist? Part 4

   I grew up in a christian family, and for a short period in my life, I attended a christian school. At our teens church, they always encourage us to have christian friends, to always listen to christian music and to always read christian books. Who was that again that always shouted at church; "You're not a student christian. You're a christian student. You're a christian first before you became a student?" You get where this is going don't you? Labels, labels and more labels. But you know, previously, like way earlier on in our history, we had no labels. Everyone called us "those people who follow Jesus." Or "those people that preach about that man." Then some smart person must have said something like; "Hey, if they're like Christ, why don't we call them Christians?" I don't know how true, but someone once told me that the label "christian" was an insult. Like it was to be in the same category as "re...

Unashamed Because Of CHH

This is the start of a new series on chhinfo. The start of stories. Stories of how christian hip-hop has impacted and changed the lives of people. From people who were rotten, hopeless and depressed, to the people who seemed normal but had their issues. So, let's not waste time anymore, let's go on to our first story.    " I'm Damian Jacobs. A poet, blogger and rapper who loves God so much and rests in the knowledge that God loves him too. But you know, it wasn't always like this. I used to be very ashamed of who I was, who I had, whom I served. I used to be different from who I am today.  Music has always been a huge thing for me. I guess God put this music nerve inside me when he started the construction. Music has always been my thing and in fact, I learned to play the keyboard as a kid. I discovered hip-hop a few years later, but I never pictured hip-hop as anything like...what's the word...clean? Or maybe godly? But I grew to love the music of Lil...