Skip to main content

Why Don't We Rap In Church?

   A few days ago I watched a movie on Dove Television. Now I'm not that big on movies, but there was a particular scene that REALLY got me thinking. Two men were trying to win the heart of a very pretty lady who was in the choir of their church. So, they bought decided to audition for the church choir. The first guy sang a very beautiful slow song while playing the piano, and the choir director applauded him with comments like; "Oh you have such a wonderful voice" "I never knew you could play the keyboard" and stuff. Then the next guy stood up to try. He brought his friends from the village and they played this talking drum the Yoruba people are famous for, and he sang an equally beautiful song. Dare I say even more beautiful than the slow one the other guy sang. The only difference was the talking drum and the Yoruba and stuff. But then the choir director made comments like; "Brother Akande, our church does not do this kind of music" "This is worldly" "Why did you not sing like the other guy?"
   Doesn't that scene look familiar in our church setting? I remember one music competition I attended. There were this rap duo competing. They did NOT go far. Probably 'cos they were the only rappers in the competition dominated by people with angelic voices.
    Why don't we sing rap music in most churches? Is it because of all the genre is associated with? The violence and misogyny and curse words? But aren't there awesome Christian rappers out there? I bet there are a lot of boys and girls in various churches, who really want to use the rap talent that they've received from God to serve Him in Church, but nobody's giving them the chance. Oh how I long for the day when the choir ministration before the pastor preaches in my church will be a rap ministration.
   OK let's be realistic here. Rap music is not everyone's style. Probably most Christians are not fans of the genre. Or maybe they were fans before they became Christians and then they associated the music with everything they were before they met Jesus and now they condemn it. For example, did you know Kanye West wanted to quit rapping after he became a Christian? His pastor had to convinced him that rap was also created by God. Just like every other genre of music.
   Believe me, I've seen serious opposition to hip-hop music. After I did my first rap ministration in my teens church, a member met me after the service, and with all seriousness and passion, he begged me to stop 'cos he didn't want me to go to hell. I was like COME ON!
   Can we all come to the general consensus that God created everything on earth? Like everything? Sex? Hip-hop? Government? If they're associated with any negative thing today, it's because of Satan. He took what God created and ruined it. God is the creator of every kind of music. It might be noise to us, but it's music to Him. I believe in heaven, we'll experience diversity of sounds. From the lyrical hip-hop to the village sounding songs of the most primitive tribe on earth, and I can't wait till the church gives all genres of music the equality that they deserve. All that should matter is; "How edifying is the song?" "Did it pass a good message? I mean theologically and doctrinally sound?" "Did it glorify God?" "Did it narrate the gospel message?" "Were people blessed and encouraged by the message of the song?" And it's high time we stop classifying songs as worldly or Christian just because of the way they sound. I rest my case.

Comments

  1. Hmmm! This is word. I stand with you on this. Even though I'm not a fan of rap music, it's lyric are edifying. You're right man. I believe the church will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I support you mate. I just pray that one of those days they will see Christian rap music as any other preferable gospel Music

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review: Armies By KB

So a couple of days ago, we were blessed with the release of this single by Christian Hip-hop sensation Kevin Burgess. Personally, I get excited anytime I hear KB has released a new song because he never disappoints. I believe Armies by KB is a song for today. A favourite Bible passage for a lot of people would be the 91st Psalm, which has to do with God's promises of protection concerning the people He loves. Armies is a song that reminds us of the fact that everywhere we go, we have an army of angels surrounding us.               LYRIC BY LYRIC REVIEW  Danger, giants Battle is my story But alone, I won't know That's my glory Shadows you cannot hide me, uh My King will fight The God of angel armies Is always by my side  So this is reminiscent isn't it? Remember that song by Chris Tomlin? Whom Shall I Fear? I've always been a hip-hop person, so I'll always prefer KB's version. We live in a world where we constantly wrestle against S

I Can't Breathe (And I should probably apologize to Lecrae)

  Look, I know I'm not in the best position to speak about everything happening in America, and for some good reason (in my opinion). First of all, I'm Nigerian. From Africa. And though I've seen episodes of police brutality, I haven't experienced racism (well, there was this time, on Facebook...). And then, I only hear stuff on news, it's kinda different when you're there to experience it first hand. Like it's your daily experience.    Well, in 2016, Trip Lee released his album The Waiting Room (one of his best in my opinion), and there's this song there that gave me a little taste of the typical Black American experience. I'm talking about Lord Have Mercy by Trip Lee.    In the second verse, Trip said; "He made me a black man, with all black clothes  Black coffee, blacking out on all my flows But why is black a problem here for all my bros?  And why they tryna put a tag on all our toes?  Black fists on the pick sticking out my 'fro He made