Skip to main content

Rap Battle!


 Hey y'all. It's been a while since I made some  noise. Well, I'm back with all the latest on all things christian hip-hop, as well as my thoughts on the christian and hip-hop.
One of the most important parts of the hip-hop culture is the rap battles. Rap battles are such an integral part of the hip-hop culture, and they have led to a lot of artists coming to the limelight like Eminem and Vector.
A rap battle is a competition, where you lyrically destroy your opponent by taking shots at him. Taking shots at features and areas of weakness that your opponent may have.
Christian hip-hop, although it's purely christian and used for the Lord Jesus' glory, is also hip-hop and so may I ask; do rap battles have a place in CHH?
Battle rap is actually a sport you know. Check out King Of The Dot and DumbFoundDead and Conceited and all the other rappers. It's like the WWE for rap music. I think they even have a belt, and I personally enjoy Conceited and his "Slow it down, I just dissed you" mantra. It's so cool. It's just like a contest there. The rappers say the most terrible things concerning each other, but nobody takes it personal in the end. They hug and shake hands and laugh with each other. We have christians in sports right? Like AJ Styles and Shawn Michaels in the WWE (you know, my brother once said you can't be a good christian while working for the WWE or pro wrestling in general, and I choose not to believe him. That'll be a topic for another day anyway) so why can't we have one at King Of The Dot and other rap battling companies? They'll be like repping Christ in the midst of the world wouldn't they? And wouldn't a rapper like Heesun Lee be perfect for that role as a christian rap battler? I really enjoy her lyricism. She's fire y'all.
Well, recently, I've been reading the famous Evidence That Demands A Verdict by Josh and Sean McDowell, and I've been pretty interested in the whole apologetics thing, and I've seen that these dudes hold debates with atheist professors challenging their beliefs in the no God fiction, and I can't help but wonder if there's a place for all these in the christian hip-hop genre.
Peter, in 1st Peter 3:15, encourages us to "always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have." I guess that scripture is the basis for the apologetics movement. Wouldn't it make sense for something like this in CHH? Oh what would I give for an apologetics CHH artist? (Side note: I think Bizzle does something like this once in a while. Check out his response to Macklemore's Same Love where he vehemently opposed same sex marriage at the same time showcasing God's love and the fact that he accepts all who come to him, or his response to Joyner Lucas' Devil's Work where he skillfully made it clear that God's ways are not like ours)
I would TOTALLY love to see a CHH artist respond to other secular artists like Dax and answer all his questions that he raised in Dear God. I mean, Dax's causing a lot of young people to have questions. It'll only be fair if some chh artist gives a response. I read somewhere a few years ago, that it was the silence of the church that gave atheism the broadway it has today. Just think of how this world would have been today if a church father had come out (with inspiration and help from the Holy Spirit) to intelligently counter Charles Darwin and his fallacious theory of evolution and natural selection. (Another side note: I do not claim to be the sole authority on all things CHH, so if a rapper has responded to him IN A RAP SONG, please let me know in the comments). And all these collaborations CHH artists do with secular artists, why can't a CHH and a secular artist have a debate on a track like those professors do, and the CHH artist (with the help of the Holy Spirit) answers all the questions the secular artist would raise?
We should probably give this CHH and rap battling thing a thought. It'll be just like the beefing and the battles, only this one will be done with love and the passion to see an unsaved person come to salvation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review: Armies By KB

So a couple of days ago, we were blessed with the release of this single by Christian Hip-hop sensation Kevin Burgess. Personally, I get excited anytime I hear KB has released a new song because he never disappoints. I believe Armies by KB is a song for today. A favourite Bible passage for a lot of people would be the 91st Psalm, which has to do with God's promises of protection concerning the people He loves. Armies is a song that reminds us of the fact that everywhere we go, we have an army of angels surrounding us.               LYRIC BY LYRIC REVIEW  Danger, giants Battle is my story But alone, I won't know That's my glory Shadows you cannot hide me, uh My King will fight The God of angel armies Is always by my side  So this is reminiscent isn't it? Remember that song by Chris Tomlin? Whom Shall I Fear? I've always been a hip-hop person, so I'll always prefer KB's version. We live in a world where we constantly wrestle against S

I Can't Breathe (And I should probably apologize to Lecrae)

  Look, I know I'm not in the best position to speak about everything happening in America, and for some good reason (in my opinion). First of all, I'm Nigerian. From Africa. And though I've seen episodes of police brutality, I haven't experienced racism (well, there was this time, on Facebook...). And then, I only hear stuff on news, it's kinda different when you're there to experience it first hand. Like it's your daily experience.    Well, in 2016, Trip Lee released his album The Waiting Room (one of his best in my opinion), and there's this song there that gave me a little taste of the typical Black American experience. I'm talking about Lord Have Mercy by Trip Lee.    In the second verse, Trip said; "He made me a black man, with all black clothes  Black coffee, blacking out on all my flows But why is black a problem here for all my bros?  And why they tryna put a tag on all our toes?  Black fists on the pick sticking out my 'fro He made