Skip to main content

I'm No Longer The Same

When you say the word passion, a couple of people come to mind. People who have had an encounter that changed them so much that they'll broadcast the Lord's message of change everywhere. Take a look at the story of this man, listen to his music below, and understand where his passion comes from. 
"What's up people. I'm Jew-b-al. A pastor and a rapper from Canada, and God has been good to me. You know, the Bible says in 1 Corinthians 1:26-29, and I quote, "Remember, dear brothers and sisters, that few of you were wise in the world’s eyes or powerful or wealthy when God called you. Instead, God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful. God chose things despised by the world, things counted as nothing at all, and used them to bring to nothing what the world considers important. As a result, no one can ever boast in the presence of God." I guess this really describes my story. I am what I am today only by the grace of the Lord Jesus my Saviour. 
I was about 19 years old and before I met Jesus, I was a drug dealer, a bootlegger, I did a lot of things wrong in my life. Oh Lord I was a mess. The worst part was I didn't really get in trouble. I had a group of friends then, and they would like get in trouble for crimes I'll commit. I remember times they'll get busted for my drugs and I'll just go free. I was just a bad leader, a bad influence to my peers. But I was making money though. People would pay a lot for the drugs I sold and I made a lot of money. This money led me to more and more sin. In fact, my lifestyle then could be described with an appropriate word — heart breaking.
When I turned 24, I had a daughter. Because of my little girl, I tried to put my life together. I tried to do things differently just so I could be a good influence to my little girl. But then, I still hadn't met Jesus so it was all willpower and I just got worse. This whole lifestyle just ruined my relationship with my daughter. We began to drift apart.
Then one day, I started to read the Bible. I found a CEV Bible at home and I started reading the book of Proverbs. I just kept reading and reading, and then one time, my phone rang, and it was this girl who wanted to come over, but I was like "No way. I'm kinda busy now" and stuff, and she was like "OK. Maybe later" and that was it. But then I started to feel really bad. My mind was like "Oh man, you just blew up a golden opportunity for some fun. You could have called her over." So I decided to call her back, apologize and get her to come over. But then, as I went to dial her phone number and try to get her to come over, I stumbled on my daughter's facecloth. It just hit me then. I'm trying to repair my relationship with my daughter and bringing this girl here wouldn't make it any better with us. So I just let it go and went back to reading the book of Proverbs.
I finished Proverbs and started Ecclesiastes. Ecclesiastes was especially special because it was this story of this guy trying to like find out what life was all about. He tried everything under the sun. Money, food, women, everything. But he couldn't find satisfaction in any of them. So I got started on Ecclesiastes, and as soon as I started, a friend called and he wanted me to come over. And I agreed. So I went over to his place and we got high smoking weed. After that, I went back and just continued Ecclesiastes from where I stopped. It got to a point I wanted to drop it. I wanted to drop that Bible, but I just couldn't. I wanted to close my eyes and stop reading, but I couldn't. My whole being just couldn't put that Bible down that day. I just kept on reading and reading and reading, and then I got to Ecclesiastes 7, and there, everything I've ever questioned, every doubt, every confusion was answered that day. From the Bible. And so I just got on my knees and surrendered everything to Jesus. My life, my everything. He's now God of my whole life.
I've always been a huge fan of hip-hop music before I was saved and I loved writing my rap verses, but once I made Jesus Christ Lord in my life, I did not want to have anything to do with hip hop music. I thought it was Satan's music, but then God reminded me that he gave me this gift for a reason. I am called to reach the next generation of youths. I'm called to pull youths from the darkness and bring them to the light of God. So I rap and do hip-hop music for God's glory and to be used by God to set people free from the chains of Satan."

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Song Review: Armies By KB

So a couple of days ago, we were blessed with the release of this single by Christian Hip-hop sensation Kevin Burgess. Personally, I get excited anytime I hear KB has released a new song because he never disappoints. I believe Armies by KB is a song for today. A favourite Bible passage for a lot of people would be the 91st Psalm, which has to do with God's promises of protection concerning the people He loves. Armies is a song that reminds us of the fact that everywhere we go, we have an army of angels surrounding us.               LYRIC BY LYRIC REVIEW  Danger, giants Battle is my story But alone, I won't know That's my glory Shadows you cannot hide me, uh My King will fight The God of angel armies Is always by my side  So this is reminiscent isn't it? Remember that song by Chris Tomlin? Whom Shall I Fear? I've always been a hip-hop person, so I'll always prefer KB's version. We live in a world where we constantly wrestle against S

I Can't Breathe (And I should probably apologize to Lecrae)

  Look, I know I'm not in the best position to speak about everything happening in America, and for some good reason (in my opinion). First of all, I'm Nigerian. From Africa. And though I've seen episodes of police brutality, I haven't experienced racism (well, there was this time, on Facebook...). And then, I only hear stuff on news, it's kinda different when you're there to experience it first hand. Like it's your daily experience.    Well, in 2016, Trip Lee released his album The Waiting Room (one of his best in my opinion), and there's this song there that gave me a little taste of the typical Black American experience. I'm talking about Lord Have Mercy by Trip Lee.    In the second verse, Trip said; "He made me a black man, with all black clothes  Black coffee, blacking out on all my flows But why is black a problem here for all my bros?  And why they tryna put a tag on all our toes?  Black fists on the pick sticking out my 'fro He made